• 12
  • 01
  • 02
  • 03
  • 11
121 012 023 034 115




About Us :

Gwyer Hall is the oldest and most prestigeous Men’s Hostel in the Delhi University. It was founded in the year 1937 with 26 students and was called ‘Law Hall’. It was restarted in 1941-42 and was called ‘University Lodging House’. In the same year, construction of two wings of the building was completed, and 48 residents were admitted. Its name was again changed, this time from ‘University Lodging House’ to ‘University Hall’.

The building of the Hall was completed in 1948 and in that year, the ‘University Hall’ was renamed as ‘Gwyer Hall’ in recognition of the services rendered by Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Delhi (from 1938-52) and the Chief Justice of the then Federal Court of India. Sir Maurice Gwyer took a keen, personel interest in the construction of this Hall. The Hall has now 76 single -seated rooms and 12 double-seated rooms to accommodate 100 full-time postgraduate students and research scholars of the University. There is a seperate wing of the Hostel, called ‘Fellows’ Court’. The fellows’ Court consisting of two Sections: Teachers Court (TC) and Doctors Court (DC), has accomodation for some University Appointed Teachers and a small number of Senior Research students of the University. Gwyer Hall is equipped with a modern Kitchen, Gymnasium and has two big beautiful lawns. It also has a Canteen, run on contract basis. The Hall has a few Guest Rooms.

Gwyer Hostel is the oldest hostel of the University of Delhi.With its massive columns and arches, it stands at the foot of the Northern Ridge,facing the University Stadium and near the main gate of the University. The hall first opened in 1937-38 with 26 residents and was named Law Hall. However , it was closed in 1939-40 for lack of funds, only re-open in 1941-42 as the university Lodging House. in 1943-44 Two new wings were built , 48 residents were admitted, and its name changed again from University lodging House to University Hall. The building of the Hall was completed in 1948, when it was given the present name, Gwyer Hall, to honour Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice Chancellor of the University of Delhi(1938-52), and chief justice of the Federal Court of India. Sir Maurice Gwyer had taken a keen, personal interest in the construction of this Hall. In 2004, Gwyer Hall was declared Heritage Building. During july 2004 - May 2006, it was suitably renovated.

Gwyer Hall is also one of the best hostels of the University. The alumni of Gwyer Hall in the last sixty - nine years include an illustrious list of high achievers in business,education,law government.

The Hall can house 160 full - time postgraduate and research students. A wing in the rear of the Hall has the Teachers' court for university-appointed teachers, the Doctor's Court for (a) post doctoral scholars(such as Research Associates) at the University, and (b) visiting foreign teachers and scholars. From time to time, University Departments and Faculties hire rooms in Teachers and Doctors courts to host conference delegates and other official visitors.

For the convenience of the student residents who may have guests, a small two-room guest facility is available. The hall has a dining hall with a hygienic, modern kitchen, a common Room/TV Room, Computer Room, gymnasium, washing machines, and cafe. The vast gardens of Gwyerv Hall, kept by an able team of gardeners, are among the best in the University. The manicured lawns,rows of tall palm trees, and tastefully planted flowering plants make the Hall a treat for the eye and an ideal retreat for students and teachers alike.

The Provost is the administrative head of the Hall. For internal administration and day to day discipline, he is assisted by the Warden. There is also a Resident Tutor who looks after extra-curicular and cultural activities among the residents and their general welfare. The Provost, Warden and the Resident Tutor are appointed by the Executive Council of the University from amongst University faculty members.

The Hall managing committee, which is constituted by the University,supervises the administration of the Hall. Among other things, the committee delibrates on and takes decisions about the long term development and welfare of the Hall, keeping in mind the value and antiquity of this institution. The decisions of the managing committee are final and binding on all matters of seat allotment, admission policy, or both regular residents and guests,as also for all questions of fees, administration and discipline.